Experimental resist felting results

The felt experiments I did last week (along with Evie, my 90 year old mom and assistant!) were a big success so far.

I used undyed fibers and laid them down over various cordings and silk gauze that acted as resists and/or texture creators. After felting and drying I cut out some of the buried cording-and lovely channels emerged! I trimmed down the edges a bit to give the shadows more definition. These images are in black and white to  focus on the textures.

felt channels 1

felt channels 1

felt craters

felt craters

resist-felt3

I love these vents and now see I could  curve them in all sorts of ways in the future! They all look so otherworldly in the pictures.

The next step is dyeing. I left some of the cording in tact to see what would happen in the dye bath. Will the dye permeate through? Or make some interesting patterns?

Stay tuned!

Advertisements

4 Responses to “Experimental resist felting results”

  1. Susan Damone Balch Says:

    Fabulous! Can’t wait to see what happens next!

  2. Worlds Apart | Karen Kamenetzky Fiber Art Says:

    […] The felting in this new piece began last summer when I felted with my 90 year old mom and began using resists to create channels . The composition of Worlds Apart was partly defined by those sections of felting I wanted to include. […]

  3. zhchsh.net Says:

    Good info. Lucky me I found your website by chance (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book-marked it for later!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: